STREAM labs Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I use any of your tools?
Before you can use our tools, you’ll need to take an orientation for the specific tool. For example, if you would like to use our woodworking tools, you’ll need to take the WOODSHOP101 class.
- I bought a membership, does that mean I can use the tools right away?
Not right away, but after you’ve taken the orientation you can. We generally recommend taking the orientation before you sign up as a member to get the most out of your membership.
- I have years of experience with this tool, do I still need to take the introductory course?
The tool orientation is mandatory for everyone, regardless of experience.
- How do I know when a tool is available? Can I just drop-in?
We have an online resource calendar for the laser cutter and the CNC router where you can book a time to use the machine. Most smaller tools are on a first-come-first-serve basis.
- Do my machine minutes get carried over?
No. If you do not use your monthly minutes, they expire.
- What file types does the CNC router and the laser cutter accept?
Most vector files are accepted: PDF, SVG, AI, and DXF. DWG is acceptable for the CNC router. However PDF tends to be best at keeping its dimensions.
- When are your classes?
Our class calendar can be found here. Typically, they are offered on a weekly basis.
- Do I need to bring anything to the class?
Not at all! We need everyone to wear closed-toe shoes and if you have long hair you have to tie them. You can bring pen and paper to take notes, or your own safety goggles and boots for the WOOD 101 class. Otherwise, we provide you with safety goggles and ear plugs.
- Can I come in on the day of the class and pay by cash?
Yes, however, no spot is not guaranteed as priority is given to people who have paid and registered online.
- Can I get a refund if I missed a class or if I can’t attend the class?
We cannot give you a refund; however, if you have given us 24-hour notice, we can register you for the following class.
- I paid full price for the class, but I became a member after that. Is it possible for me to get the member price somehow?
Yes, if you sign up as a member within one week of the class, we will give you a $20 cash refund.
- Do you offer private classes?
Yes we do. Our private class rates are $120 + tax per person.
Memberships and Space
- May I come in and get a tour?
Yes, public tours occur multiple times. Please see our Course calendar for dates and times.
- Is there any special requirement to become a member?
None at all, just sign up here. You still need to take the introductory class in order to use the tools.
- How do I rent space at STREAM labs?
Contact us or drop by to find out which spaces are available. After you choose a space, you have to sign up for a STREAM labs plan here to secure your space. Please note, only members are permitted to rent space.
- How do I know which space is available?
You can email us to inquire about the availability.
- Is there any difference between renting a space in the ground floor and the second floor?
The ground floor is suited for more work that involves noise and dust. The second floor is a noise-free and dust-free environment.
- How do I get 24/7 access to the space?
Please contact us to discuss “anchor tenant access”.
- I have other people that will be working in my space, do they have to become a member as well?
If they will only be using your studio space and occasional access to tools, they can be come an Affiliate member. Affiliate membership gives the holder access to the studio space and discounted classes, but not the discounted rate or unlimited access to tools.
- Can I get a refund for my membership?
No, we do not give refunds for membership fees.
- Is there somewhere I can put my project?
We have storage shelves and sheet storage that are available for rent. The rates are $5/day, $20/week and $50/month.
- Are we crazy?